Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Soft Edge Quilts

These quilts are also known as “rag quilts”, but every time I called them that people snarled their noses like they smelled an old dish rag. That’s an injustice, of course, because these quilts are delightful. They’re fun, uncomplicated, and can be made rather quickly. I usually make a soft-edge quilt between other projects, just to give my mind a rest. I’ve started calling them “soft-edge” because the seams are sewn out not in, are sandwiched with flannel , and when they’re clipped and washed several times, it makes the seams soft and comfy. Soft-edge quilts are user-friendly. They’re like a warm hug whenever you need one. They’re great to take with you to the football games when the weather is cold. Use them as flags to show support for your team. It would make a great fundraiser for schools or a gift for the sports fan in your life.


Most of the quilts pictured in this category were Christmas gifts. My favorite is the citrus quilt (yellow, orange, green) – I used different colors of flannel to sandwich the blocks and I really love the way it turned out. Notice the diagonal pattern in these quilts. This is my preferred design and is the easiest pattern to do. Even when I attempt a random design it usually comes out looking like a pattern. Someone suggested throwing all the squares into a bag, clothes basket, or whatever. Close your eyes and whatever comes out gets sewn – Maybe I’ll try that next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment